Light and flavorful, fish (any fatty fish) rubbed down with spices, on fresh tortillas, smothered with homemade Mango Salsa and topped of with Queso Fresco (or Greek Feta Cheese) and shredded cabbage are irresistibly delicious.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
For the Tortillas:
- 4 cups of masa flour
- 2 ½ cups of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
For the Salsa and Toppings:
- 2 mangoes peeled, cored and medium diced
- ½ red onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoon of fresh cilantro chopped
- juice of 1 Lime
- ½ each thinly sliced red and green cabbage
- Queso Frescosea (or mild Feta) salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
For the Fish:
- 1 teaspoon of dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds of skinned fresh halibut (or any fatty fish)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until completely combined.
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Next, make golf ball sized dough balls and press them using a tortilla press.
- Cook the tortillas in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until they become lightly browned around the edges.
- Keep warm.
Note: you will have some leftover.
- Combine the mangoes, red onions, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper in a bowl and keep cool.
- In a bowl mix together all of the herbs and spices and coat the fish on both sides with it.
- Sear the fish on a hot griddle or large frying pan over medium to medium-high heat until it is browned on both sides and cooked through out, about 10 minutes.
Place some fish into a warmed tortilla and top off with sliced cabbages, mango salsa and Queso Fresco (or Greek Feta).