Skip to content
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 lamb shanks
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 branches of celery, diced
- 125 ml (½ cup) red wine
- 500 ml (2 cups) veal or game stock
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Cook the lamb shanks, garlic and thyme for 4 to 5 minutes, regularly basting the meat with the butter until golden.
- Transfer the shanks and garlic into a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, cook the onion, carrots and celery for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the red wine and let simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the veal stock and tomato paste and stir.
- Pour the veal stock mixture over the shanks. Cover and cook for 7 to 8 hours on low, until the meat falls easily off the bone.
- Remove the shanks and keep warm.
- With a fine sieve, filter the sauce above a pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes over low heat until it has reduced by half.
- Serve the shanks with the sauce.