Makes: approx. 250ml
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- ¼ teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and halved)
- 1 x 15ml tablespoon lemon juice plus 1 teaspoon more
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 x 15ml tablespoon cold water
- 250 millilitres regular olive oil
- Put all the ingredients, except for the extra teaspoon of lemon juice, into a small food processor.
- Switch it on at full power.
- Blend for 30 seconds – to absorb the oil, creating a smooth, thick mayonnaise.
- Transfer to a bowl, and stir in the teaspoon of lemon juice by hand, which will loosen the texture a little.
- Cover with cling film and leave to stand for at least 15 minutes. Stir gently before serving, dispersing the flecks of saffron.
For optimal eating pleasure, leave this in the fridge overnight. Both flavour and golden hue will deepen further on standing; its true colour emerges after it has been in the fridge overnight.
Stir gently before serving, dispersing the flecks of saffron. And follow the method to the letter!
Keep covered in the fridge for no more than a week.