These easier-than-easy shrimp tacos are ideal for busy weeknights, but those fancy-seeming toppings—lime juice-massaged red onions and a throw-together garlic crema—are destined for dinner party greatness.
- 2 Tbsp. adobo sauce from 1 can chipotle chilis in adobo
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove
- ¼ head of green cabbage
- 1 cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
- 1 small red onion
- 1 lime
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Stir 2 Tbsp. adobo sauce and 2 Tbsp. honey in a medium bowl until combined. Add 1 lb. shrimp; season with salt. Toss until shrimp is evenly coated with sauce. Set aside while you prep your toppings.
- Mix ½ cup mayonnaise with 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl. Grate 1 garlic clove into bowl, season with salt, and stir to combine.
- Thinly slice ¼ head of cabbage into very thin strips.
- Coarsely chop 1 cup cilantro.
- Peel and trim 1 onion. Cut in half lengthwise, then thinly slice.
- Cut 1 lime in half and squeeze out juice from both halves into another small bowl. Add sliced onion and a pinch of salt. Massage with your hands until onion begins to soften.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Working with one at a time, warm tortilla in skillet until pliable and starts to darken, 30–45 seconds per side. Transfer tortillas to a piece of foil and wrap tightly to keep warm.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and pour in 2 Tbsp. oil. Once oil begins to shimmer, add shrimp mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimps turn pink and cooked through, 1–2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Unwrap tortillas and build tacos with shrimp, cabbage, garlic crema, cilantro, and onions.
Originally published in bonappetit.com