Serves: 4-6 people
Ingredients For Lamb
- 4-6 lamb shanks 300g each
- 1 garlic halved
- 1 onion halved
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Butter for the glazing
- Season with salt the lamb shanks! Sauté both sides with sunflower oil until golden brown! Deglaze pan with some water and take the drippings!
- Put the shanks in a ceramic pot, cover with water and add all the deglazed water. This is all your flavor. Add onion, garlic and rosemary. Close with foil and lid.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 3h. Open the lid, strain some braising liquid for our fricassee and let the pot with the meat and rest of liquid for one 1h to cook more, uncovered for more glaze.
- Keep the meat aside and strain your braising liquid.
- Put on a pan, add some strained liquid and butter and glaze.
Ingredients for the egg & lemon sauce
- 110g whole egg
- 250g cooking broth from the lamb cooking above
- 4g salt
- 0.5g white pepper
- 10g dill finely chopped
- 20g lemon juice
- Put the eggs in a steel bowl and mix well.
- Set another bowl over ice bath and put in lemon, dill, salt & pepper.
- Place eggs bowl over a pan with boiling water and add the cooking broth, whisking constantly until thick (79°c). Attention!! IT should not curdle!
- Remove from heat immediately and strain into the bowl with the lemon & dill over ice. Mix well until cool. You can prepare this one day in advance.
Ingredients for the fricassee
- 80g butter, 40g EVOO
- 80g onion finely chopped
- 80g spring onion thinly sliced
- 7g minced garlic
- 300g iceberg finely chopped
- 200g braising liquid from the lamb cooking
- Egg & lemon sauce from above
- 30g lemon juice & zest
- 1g white pepper
- 10g salt
- 50g trahanas (Greek Pasta)
- 20g chopped dill
- 10g chopped mironi (Myrrh)
- 10g chopped kafkalithra (Mediterranean hartwort)
- In a big pan, add the butter and the olive oil and sauté the onions & garlic.
- Once caramelized, add iceberg & sauté thoroughly.
- Add the liquid and trahanas and cook for a few minutes.
- Add egg & lemon sauce and mix in circular mode.
- Once thick enough, add rest of ingredients off heat!
- Serve on a plate and place glazed meat on top.