Panna cotta is a nice and easy dessert idea for any season. This mojito panna cotta is a perfect summer dessert that you can prepare anytime when you want to eat something sweet and easy to prepare. Here is the recipe:
For the Panna cotta:
- 11 grams (1 envelope) gelatin (or 3 gelatin leaves)
- 250 ml/8 fl oz. (1 cup) whole milk
- 250 ml/8 fl oz. (1 cup) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or one 2-inch piece of vanilla bean)
- 25 g/1 oz. (1/8 cup) sugar
For the Mojito sauce:
- Zest from 1 lime, finely grated
- Juice from 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon white rum
- 4-6 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- Fresh mint leaf, finely chopped
- Green food coloring (optional)
To make the Panna cotta:
- Pour 75 ml/3 fl oz. /5 tbsps. almost-boiling water into a heatproof bowl then adds the powdered gelatin.
- Stir until dissolved, then leave to cool. If using gelatin leaves cover the leaves with the water and leave for 20 minutes or until softened.
- Pour the milk and cream into a heavy-based saucepan and add the vanilla pod/bean or add the vanilla extract together with the sugar.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the gelatin liquid in a thin, steady stream or add the softened leaves and stir until dissolved.
- Leave to cool.
- Discard the vanilla pod and pour the milk mixture into four 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup ramekins or small dishes.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour until set.
To make the Mojito sauce:
- In the meantime, make the Mojito sauce. In a saucepan, place the fresh lime juice, white rum, lime zest, chopped mint leaf, sugar, and green food coloring (if using).
- Place over medium heat and cook for 3 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove and rub through a fine sieve to remove mint pips.
- Serve with the set Panna