YIELD: Serves 2 to 3
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- Kosher salt
- 2 large lemons, preferably unwaxed and organic
- 2 ounces Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 12 ounces fresh tagliolini or other long pasta
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, finely grate the zest of 2 large lemons. Juice the lemons. Finely grate 2 ounces Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese (about 1/3 cup). Start the sauce.
- Heat 4 tablespoons unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the lemon zest and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and simmer for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup heavy cream and season with kosher salt and black pepper. Simmer until the sauce has thickened slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta. Add the pasta to the sauce and cook over medium heat, adding some of the pasta water as needed, until the pasta is well coated and glossy with sauce. Serve immediately with the grated cheese.
Storage: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 4 days. Reheat with a splash of milk or cream
Originally published in: thekitchen.com