Pasta with garlic and olive oil is simple and classic recipe which comes together quickly for a great weeknight meal. Add in some lemon juice and zest to give it brightness and anchovies to provide umami, and you’ll have a pasta dish you’ll want to make again and again.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 15 mins
Serves: 4 servings
- 12 oz spaghettini, can substitute spaghetti or vermicelli
- kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3-4 anchovy fillets
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta to package directions. Then drain and reserve about 1 cup of pasta water.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil/pasta to cook, make the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the anchovies, garlic, and a sprinkle of kosher salt and cook, stirring frequently until the garlic is soft and the anchovies have melted into the oil, about 3-4 minutes.
- Once the pasta is done, add it to the skillet with the pasta water, parsley, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Toss everything together over low heat until the sauce has become thick and clings to the pasta, about 2-3 minutes. Serve.
- Timing: I generally pull out all the ingredients, then get the pasta water going, and while I’m waiting for it to boil and I do any chopping and zesting needed. Then, while the pasta cooks I make the sauce and leave it on very low heat until the pasta is done.
- Pasta: I’ve made the recipe with various pasta over the years and I like spaghettini the best. It’s not too thick and not too thin. But, as this is a pantry meal, feel free to use whatever shape you have on hand.
- Vegetarians: If you want to serve this to vegetarians you will need to skip the anchovies! Don’t forget.
Originally published in justalittlebitofbacon.com