YIELD: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 6 ounces rosemary sprigs (about 2 large or 4 small bunches), divided
- 2 4-pound chickens
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 lemons, 1 halved, 1 sliced into eight 1/4″ rounds
- 1 pound shallots, peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a large roasting pan with 3/4 of rosemary sprigs. Place chickens on top.
- Whisk 1/2 cup oil, lemon juice, and honey in a small bowl to blend.
- Using your hands and beginning at the neck end of chicken, gently lift skin away from breast. Under skin of each chicken, rub 1/4 cup lemon mixture into meat. Drizzle remaining lemon mixture all over outside of chickens.
- Place 1 lemon half and 1 shallot inside each chicken cavity; stuff with remaining rosemary sprigs, dividing equally. Season chickens all over with salt and pepper. Place remaining shallots around chickens; arrange 4 lemon rounds on top of each chicken. Drizzle shallots and lemon rounds with remaining 2 tablespoons oil.
- Roast chickens, basting frequently with pan juices, for 45 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°F and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F and skin is deep golden and crispy, about 10 minutes longer.
- Spoon pan juices over chickens, shallots, and lemon slices and serve in roasting pan.