Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 – 30 minutes
This seriously delicious chicken one pan dish is everything you want, juicy, tender, fall off the bone and crispy on the outside with a hearty finger licking gravy. Serve with lots of french baguette to mop up those juices.
Easy, healthy, comfort food. I mean, you can’t go wrong with Chicken.
I roast this chicken in my cast iron pan, because the crispiness and browning on the chicken is unsurpassable, and because the pan goes from the stove to the oven, which obviously is a major plus.
If you don’t have a cast iron pan don’t worry, any other frying pan will work too, but you will have to transfer the chicken to a baking dish when it goes into the oven.
I start by browning the chicken on the stove to get a nice browning on the chicken and to seal the meat, then I finish it off in the oven for another 20 minutes or so which gives you enough time to get your sides dishes ready and set the table.
It’s seasoned with thyme, rosemary and garlic, and then I added some honey and grapes to make it the perfect comfort dish. I also added a splash of white wine for the gravy. Which by the way is an amazing gravy, full of flavor.
I don’t pour gravy over the chicken because I want to keep the chicken crispy.
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 2 lbs. chicken, legs and thighs (I used legs and boneless thighs)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 Cup red seedless grapes
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 1 tbsp. fresh Thyme leafs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. Poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 8 rashers smoked bacon or pancetta
- flour for drenching plus 2 teaspoons for gravy
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 large glass dry white wine
- Pre heat oven to 190°C / 375° F
- Take out a piece of parchment paper and lay it out on a board. This makes cleaning easier and seasoning too.
- Place chicken pieces on top and season with salt pepper, poultry seasoning and paprika. Toss about by lifting the sides of the paper.
- Add a few tablespoons of flour to the chicken and toss the chicken around again to coat all over.
- Put a (cast iron) skillet on the heat. Add the olive oil when hot and start frying the chicken on both sides.
- Meanwhile cut the bacon into small pieces and set aside. Peel the garlic and chop roughly.
- When the chicken is browned, lower the heat and add the bacon, garlic and herbs to the pan. Stir around a bit to mix all the flavours and add the wine. Drizzle over the honey and add the grapes, now transfer to the oven placing the baking dish on a rack in the middle of the oven and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until nice and crispy on top and cooked through.
- Alternatively, if you don’t have a cast iron skillet, transfer to an oven safe dish that has been pre heated in the oven.
Serve with crusty bread.
Originally published in thecookingspoon.org