Makes 4 Servings
The double-shake method is key to this cocktail’s texture. The first round is to break up the egg white; the second is to chill and froth the drink.
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites*, separated individually
- 8 ounces rye whiskey
- 4 ounces fresh lemon juice
- Pernod or absinthe (for serving)
- Chill 4 coupe glasses in freezer.
- Bring sugar and ½ cup water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Cover and chill simple syrup until cold, at least 1 hour.
- For each cocktail, combine 1 egg white, 2 oz. rye whiskey, 1 oz. lemon juice, and ¾ oz. simple syrup into a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously (without ice) until mixture is starting to get frothy.
- Fill shaker with ice and shake vigorously until outside of shaker is frosty and cocktail is frothy, about 20 seconds (yes, a full 20 seconds).
- Rinse a chilled coupe glass with Pernod; discard.
- Strain cocktail through a fine-mesh sieve into glass.
*Raw egg is not recommended for the elderly, pregnant women, children under four, and people with weakened immune systems.